Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Blueberry Scones with Streusel Topping
I found this recipe online and have to say it’s one of my least favorite scones I’ve made. It's not a bad recipe by any means it's just not a favorite (like this one). And not because of taste, but because of texture. No offense to Joy of Baking where I found the recipe. There are a lot of great recipes on that site! I just found this to be too cake-like. And the streusel topping made it seem more like a muffin then a scone. Regardless, give it a try. It was tasty!
INGREDIENTS for SCONES
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (cut up into little chunks)
1 cup fresh blueberries
INGREDIENTS for STRUESEL TOPPING
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (cut up into little chunks)
DIRECTIONS for SCONES
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl whisk together milk, egg and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add butter to flour mixture and combine using a pastry blender. When the consistency is course and 'crumb-like' fold in the blueberries.
4. Pour milk/egg mixture into flour mixture and stir only until it clumps together. Pour dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover your hands with flour and knead the dough lightly-only once or twice. Re-flour surface if needed then flatten dough into a circle until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces.
5. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and evenly spread out the scones. Brush them with a light coat of milk then prepare the streusel topping.
DIRECTIONS for STRUESEL TOPPING
1. Whisk together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the butter and using a pastry blender, mix until the consistency is course and 'crumb-like'. Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons on to the coated scones.
Note: This makes more streusel topping then you need. Save it and sprinkle it on vanilla ice cream. It’s delicious!
2. Bake the scones 18- 20 minutes until they are lightly browned. Remove and place on a cooling rack to cool completely. These are best the day you make them.