I adapted this recipe from SmittenKitchen.com and they have quickly become a favorite. I enlisted my friend Mark to help out with this fabulous recipe. It's a perfect blend of chocolate and cream cheese. A perfect 'beat the mid-winter blues' kinda recipe. It's just the kind of sweet treat I need to make it through the final winter stretch.
For the chocolate cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cream cheese filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Combine well. Create a small well in the center of the mixture.
3. In a separate bowl combine water, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla extract. Pour into the the center of the flour mixture. Slowly stir, combining the flour and liquid. Do not over-stir. The batter will look a little bubbly and even just a little lumpy. That's okay as long as the dry and wet ingredients are blended.
4. In a separate bowl with a mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar and egg. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
5. Divide the chocolate cupcake batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
Mark, evenly distributing the chocolate batter. What a great job he's doing!
6. Evenly distribute the cream cheese mixture, on top of the chocolate mixture, between the 12 muffin cups.
Me, distributing the cream cheese batter. I'm also doing a good job. Ha!
7. Bake on the center rack for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
These are really delicious. Print this recipe, go get the ingredients and make them! Yum.