nom nom nom
This is the first time I have made hummingbird cupcakes so I used a Martha Stewart recipe. I had to omit the walnuts since I am allergic but feel free to add them if you like them! I love these cupcakes. I've been eating them in the morning (unfrosted) with a cup of coffee and they are delicious. Go make these now!
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Makes roughly 24 cupcakes
INGREDIENTS for CUPCAKES
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
8 ounces crushed pineapple
1 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
INGREDIENTS for CREAM CHEESE ICING
8 ounces cream cheese - room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter - room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 ounces (1 pound) powdered sugar
DIRECTIONS for the CUPCAKES
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer and a large bowl, beat the butter, vanilla and sugar until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well with mixer before adding the next egg. After all 3 eggs have been added, beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, mash the bananas well. Add the pineapple, coconut and walnuts (optional) and combine. Add to the egg mixture and combine well. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, and combine all ingredients.
5. Divide batter evenly in the 24 cupcake pans. The batter should go almost to the top of the liners:
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes (rotate pans halfway through baking) or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before icing.
DIRECTIONS for CREAM CHEESE ICING
1. Using a mixer and a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until combined.
2. Add sugar, little by little, while beating with a mixer and combine well.
3. Put icing in a pastry bag or a heavy-duty freezer bag with the tip snipped off. Pipe icing onto to cupcakes.
Also, be sure to 'Like' Baking Boy on Facebook or follow Baking Boy on Twitter!