So easy you can make it in your sleep!
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter - cold
1 cup of old-fashioned oats
3 pounds of apples - peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and put into flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, combine ingredients until they are crumb-like.
3. Add oats and mix with hands until combined and chunky. Put mixture in the fridge while you prepare the apples.
4. Put apples in a large bowl. Evenly sprinkle vanilla and lemon juice over the apples and stir. Add the white sugar and cinnamon and stir again to evenly coat the apples.
5. Grease a 2 quart glass baking dish with butter. Place apples in the baking dish and evenly distribute crumb topping. Bake until bubbling, about 60-70 minutes. Be sure to put foil or a pan underneath the baking dish.
6. Remove and allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
It's great with vanilla bean ice cream. Mmmm.
Also, be sure to 'Like' Baking Boy on Facebook or follow Baking Boy on Twitter!