When I was in Michigan I picked fresh cherries and bought some dried cherries for future baking and snacking. The dried cherries are perfect for oatmeal cookies. I swear, I could eat half a dozen of these at one time. They are so good.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
4 ounces of butter, softened
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix until creamy.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and stir until combined. Add oats and chopped cherries and stir until evenly distributed.
4. Scoop dough out and place about 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.*
5. Chill cookies in the fridge for about an hour before baking. This will cause them to be a little bit thicker.
6. Bake on the middle rack for 14-16 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown and the center looks a little under cooked. Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool.
*I like my cookies on the larger side so I got about 12 cookies out of this recipe. You can make smaller ones and get about 2 dozen from this recipe. If you do that, shorten the baking time by 3-5 minutes.