This recipe is a work in progress. I still have frozen blueberries from my blueberry picking last summer and I’ve been itching to use them up. Since the holidays are long gone it’s time to start baking a little bit healthier. I decided to do some experimenting. I found a base recipe for a blueberry loaf and changed things to my liking in order to make it healthier. To my surprise it turned out really well. It’s a delicious 100% whole wheat blueberry loaf that you don’t have to feel guilty about. This is the recipe as it stands now. Go out and get the ingredients and give it a try!
1/4 cup blanched almonds finely chopped
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup non-fat blueberry yogurt
1 cup frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8 1/2” x 4” loaf pan or use my parchment paper trick shown here. In a small bowl mix together the chopped almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together for about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla and yogurt and continue mixing on low for another 2 minutes. Scrape the sides as you mix so everything is well combined. Fold in the frozen blueberries until they are evenly distributed in the batter.
4. Spread the batter in the greased or parchment covered loaf pan. The batter will be very thick. Spread evenly and smoothly. Sprinkle almond topping evenly over the batter.
5. Bake on the middle rack for 60-70 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean with no raw batter. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
You can store this in an air tight container for up to 4 days.
Yum, yum, yum.